Many users are faced with a problem when trying to update or install Steam games, the error message that pops up states that Steam is missing file privileges. This error can occur due to a number of reasons, and the corrupted file system is one of those cases; it may be a minor or major error depending upon the cause it is occurring. In this post, I have provided some fix for Steam Missing File Privileges in Windows.
How to Fix Steam Missing File Privileges in Windows
People using Steam platform to play games on their PC may come across the problem missing file privileges steam generally when they are trying to install any new games or when trying to update old ones, there can be many causes of the problem, and here I have provided solutions for most of them.
Method 1: Give Administrative Privileges To Steam
To function smoothly any application needs to perform both read and write operations, but if in your PC steam is only given Read privileges then you should consider changing some application properties. Here is how you can do so:
- Find the default directory of your Steam Application where Steam software is installed, navigate to it, you can navigate to it by opening the run dialog and typing in the Steam Directory path.
- Press Windows + R button and type “%ProgramFiles(x86)%” hit enter from your Keyboard.
- Once the directory has been located, right click on the Steam Folder and select Properties.
- Go to the Security Tab And select Advance at the bottom of the tab.
- You will be presented with the number of users list
- You can change the settings for Administrator by selecting Administrator and selecting Edit.
- As you select the Edit button a list with all available permissions will appear just click on Full Control and apply the setting. Do the same thing for all the next as well.
- Restart your computer and check whether it is still showing steam error missing file privileges or not.
After completing this step check if you can download or update your games if the problem is still there then try using the next fix.
Method 2: Try to Change the Download Region
There are different content available for different regions on Steam as the content is divided. Initially, the client automatically selects your region through your network, but it might create some problem as well such as the Steam Missing File Privileges problem it can be easily solved by changing your region manually. Follow these steps to change your region manually:
- Launch Steam from your Desktop.
- Click on Steam Tab and from there click on Settings options, from the drop-down menu on the left corner of the client window.
- From left sidebar, click on Download and then select Download regions and select any region except your current one.
- Once you are done selection the region, click on Ok button and then Restart Steam check whether the problem is solved or not.
After following these steps try to download or update your games, if the problem is still there then try using the next fix.
Method 3: Repairing Library Folder and Verifying Integrity
There is a chance that you are having the Steam Missing File Privileges problem because of the corrupt file system or maybe the Steam Library Folder is not configured properly, this can also happen if some files are not properly installed on your system. If that is the case, then you can solve it by Verifying the integrity of game files and fixing your install files, this can be done by using the Repairing Library option and it will solve the missing file privileges steam problem automatically, you just have to start the process and Steam software will verify the files in back end. Follow these instructions to verify the integrity of game files:
- Open Steam.exe from your Desktop
- Select Settings from the context menu that appears if you click on the Steam icon in the upper left corner.
- In settings go to Downloads Tab and select Steam Library Folders on the top.
- A window will appear showing you where Steam is installed and other Storage places that Steam has access to.
- Right click on the Space used by Steam and select Repair Steam Library.
- Once you are done with the repair part, let’s move on to the verify integrity part.
- This part is one of the most important part of this method so exit the Settings tab and select the Library tab in the steam client.
- Right click on the game that you can not install or update and then select Properties option.
- In the properties window, there will be an option in the Local Files Tab and select the Verify Integrity of Game Files option.
- Steam will verify all the files present in that directory and repair or replace any missing or corrupted file accordingly.
This should really help you in countering the steam error missing file privileges problem that you have been facing, and now you can go back to playing your favorite game on Steam.
Also Read: How to Fix Steam Won’t Open Error in Windows
Steam Missing File Privileges can be a very annoying problem, and if you ever encounter it, you can always come here to this article for help on this problem. Hope this post has helped you in fixing the steam download missing file privileges error, You can go back to playing your favorite game on Steam. If you face any problem while following above tutorial then please let us know in comment section below and we will surely help you with your query.