A good company knows how to make its complaints as their aims. And so does Microsoft.
Microsoft has this innocent feature known as Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry which is used to send the reports of how your computer is performing to Microsoft. Reports like whether your OS is working in a proper state or not, reports like drivers compatibility with your hardware, and many more things.
So what Microsoft does is that it collects all the important, technical data from all the computers which it uses to make improvements and provide us a better quality of service.
To understand telemetry more deeply, you should know that telemetry has four levels.
- Security level.
- Basic level.
- Enhanced level.
- Full level.
Why is it Causing a Problem?
When overviewed, this service is extremely beneficial for both the user and the company. However, it may cause some issues like high disk usage issue and privacy-related issues. This means the Microsoft compatibility telemetry service is collecting all the technical data like system logs, system diagnostics information, logs of apps which keep crashing again and again and many more things and due to that the CPU usage increases.
How to Fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High Disk Usage Issue
We are going to show you a few methods which you will have to follow in order to solve the problem. If the first method works for you then you don’t have to follow the next but if it doesn’t then go through the rest. Here is how you can set your computer when Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is High on Disk Usage.
Method 1: Using the Windows Command Line.
Using the command prompt, you can disable the telemetry services.
Here is how to do it:
- Press Windows+X from your keyboard.
- It will open a small menu where you have to click on Command Prompt(Admin).
- Now you have to enter the following commands to stop the services. Make sure to press enter after every.
This is how you can disable telemetry from your computer.
Method 2: Using the Registry Editor in Windows.
GPO or the group policy editor works as a quick way for those whose Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is high. If your laptop/computer doesn’t ship with the group policy editor then you can use the registry method to disable telemetry.
Follow the given steps to do so:
- Open the Run window by pressing windows+R.
- Type regedit to open Registry Editor.
- Now navigate to the given path:
- Now, you need to create a new DWORD of 32-bit value and name it as AllowTelemetry.
- Assign the value to 0 as shown below.
- Completing this step will disable Telemetry. But if there is no key, then you will have to create one.
- Disable the connected user experience and telemetry service.
- Under the startup type option, double click on ‘Connected user experience and telemetry service’ and disable it.
This is how you can disable telemetry by using the registry editor.
Method 3: Diagnostics tracking service.
If you deny your consent for giving your information and feedback to improve the services, you are saved from the high disk usage risk and can save your privacy.
Can I do this?
Follow the simple steps to learn how to do this:
- Press Windows + R button and type Services.msc.
- It will list all the services which are currently running/non-running on your system.
- Under services, open the property sheet of Diagnostics Tracking Service.
- Right click on the service and then click on Properties.
- From Properties, you have to select Disable from startup type section as shown in this image.
- Restart your system to make sure all the changes are saved properly.
Method 4: Remove from Task Scheduler
Another simple way is to remove telemetry from the task scheduler.
Here is how to do it:
- Open Start menu and type Task Scheduler.
- Select Task Scheduler start menu or hit Enter.
- Click on the Task library. Then choose Microsoft.
- Select Windows.
- And click on application experience as shown in this image.
- Right click on the task and then select Disable from the option.
- Repeat the same with the other two tasks
- Now go to task scheduler library and click on customer experience improvement program.
- Disable the tasks displayed there as well.
- You are done!
Also Read: How to Fix Windows 10 Freezes Automatically Issue
These were the ways by which you can deal with high usage Microsoft compatibility telemetry services. We have tried to explain every possible solution which has personally worked for us and this is why we are suggesting you do it. If you face any difficulties while following the solutions above then please let us know and we will surely go through your query and respond it. For faster communication, you can always connect with us using Contact us page.